About Us

 

About Us

Our History

Christ Church, Beaurepaire was first formed in 1924. The original building was erected at its present site in 1932. As more people moved into the region the parish became self-supporting and the appointment of the first full-time rector, the Reverend Roland Bodger, was made in 1959. In 1962 the present church was erected. It was designed by a parishioner, the late Roy Wilson. He supervised construction and on 11th January 1963 the new church was dedicated.

Parish Records are available on request.

Rectors and Incumbents of Christ Church

The Ven. Michael Johnson

2007 - 2016

The Rev.Andrew Sandilands

2003 – 2007

The Rev. Bryan Pierce

2002 – 2003

The Rev. Dean Brady

1988 – 2002

The Rev. Desmond Rowe

1974 – 1988

The Rev. Reginald Hollis

1971 – 1974

The Ven. Murray C. Magor

1964 – 1970

The Rev. Roland Bodger

1959 – 1964

Lt. Col. The Rev. H.F. Cocks

1952 – 1959

The Rev. Canon H. Coffin

1946 – 1952

The Rev. Canon J.R. Allen

1944 – 1946

The Rev. G.W. Phillips

1939 – 1944

The Ven. B.J. Thorpe

1933 – 1939

The Rev. G.F. Leigh

1932 – 1933

The Rev. J.J.S. Seaman

1924 – 1932

 

The following are extracts from documents collected over the years and kept at the Church:

2013

 

Roof Repairs; paint exterior windows; extensive renovations to the verger’s apartment.

2010

 

Renovations to the Parish Hall begin; replace ceiling and lighting, paint walls, replace flooring.

Francie Nadeau-Keats, Theological student intern at Christ Church (2009-2010) is ordained Deacon by the Bishop of Quebec. She began her ministry in the Diocese of Quebec in June.

In February The Rev. Michael Johnson, Incumbent is appointed Archdeacon of St Lawrence at a special Collation Service.

2009

 

The first monthly Paws & Pray service is held in October.

Two members of Christ Church attend Montreal Diocesan Theological College to pursue ministerial studies.

2008

 

The "Still Presence Spirituality Centre" is launched in September, under the direction of the Rev. Cedric Cobb, Honourary Associate.

2007

 

In November The Rev. Michael Johnson is appointed Incumbent. His wife, Archdeacon Janet Griffith Johnson, is appointed Executive Archdeacon of Montreal, and Honourary Associate at Christ Church.

The parish numbers 106 families (176 individuals).

2006

 

Audio-visual system and large screen installed in Sanctuary. Church Services are now available in PowerPoint.

Choir Stalls and area renovated. Piano and organ moved.

2003

 

In September, The Rev. Andrew Sandilands is appointed Incumbent. The Parish numbers 139 families.

2002

 

In October, The Rev. Canon Bryan Pearce is appointed Interim Priest.

1991

 

Allen Electronic organ installed.

1988

 

The Rev. Dean Brady is appointed. He returns to university in September 2002.

1974

 

Parish numbers 350 families. There are a Senior and a Junior Choir, a consort, a church school, an altar guild, four Anglican Church Women (ACW) groups, and a Server's Guild. Services are held every Sunday at 8:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and 7:15 p.m.

The Rev. Desmond Rowe is appointed. He retires in 1988.

1972

 

Rectory at 84 Fieldfare, across from the church, is extended thus confirming it as one of the most delightful Rectories in the Diocese.

1965

 

New Baldwin organ installed.

1963

 

Dedication of the new church building by Bishop Maguire on 11th January.

1962

 

Last service in the original church is held on Easter Sunday. New church cornerstone laid 14th June and first service held on 9th December. Building cost $190,000 and the architect was P. Roy Wilson, a parishioner.

1960

 

Parish Council & Building Committee recommend that all church requirements be provided in one building.

1959

 

Parish resolves to become self-supporting and seeks a full-time Rector. The Rev. Roland Bodger is inducted 4th June.

1956

 

Parish numbers 300 families

1952

 

Lt. Col. The Rev. H.F.C. Cocks begins a successful ministry during the years of heavy suburban expansion.

1951

 

Mortgage of the first church building is burned on June 11th.

1950

 

Progress continues and improvements are made to the church building.

1947-
1949

 

The situation starts to improve. Parish census taken.

1946

 

Attendance and participation reach new low. Serious consideration is given to closing the parish and disposing of the church building. A decision was taken to carry on, while sharing with the United Church.

1945

 

United Church joins in using the church building.

1943

 

Membership and funds decline. Church closed and services held in the school.

1933

 

The Rev. B.J. Thorpe became rector of the combined parishes of Beaurepaire and Pointe Claire.

1932

 

First church building dedicated 29th July by Bishop Farthing. Named Christ Church after the former parish in Wykehurst, England of a pioneer member, Mr. Charles Claridge; it cost $9,000. The architect was Gordon Williams. An organ was installed and gifts from parishioners dedicated. Mr. Claridge donated an old steam locomotive bell to install in the belfry. In 1962 when the second church building was built, the bell was donated to the Montreal Railway Museum.

1931

 

First Confirmation Service for 8 candidates.

1930

 

A Women's Club and a Men's Club were formed. Church grounds were improved and a building committee formed. Fundraising commenced. A student at Montreal Theological College, Mr. Roland Bodger assisted Rev. Seaman during the year and Bishop Farthing visited on October 12th.

1928

 

An Altar Cloth, vases and kneeling bench were donated by members. Continuous support of the Ladies Guild was acknowledged.

1926

 

Several articles, a dossal, cross, candlesticks, altar cloth, hymn boards and lectern, were placed at the Harvest Thanksgiving Service.

1925

 

In his annual charge to the Diocesan Synod on April 21, Bishop Farthing reported that "Beaurepaire church people have bought an excellent site next to the school in which the services are now being held."

A tennis club was started and using a short-term loan of $158 from church funds; a court was laid out on the church property.

1924

 

The first services in Beaurepaire were held in private homes. The residents were mostly farmers whose land had been handed down from generation to generation. There were a few permanent homes and a sprinkling of summer ones. A census of church members was made and, being encouraged by the results, the congregation moved to Beaurepaire Protestant School with the Reverend J.J. Seaman conducting the services. A building fund was started.